Posts Tagged ‘Miguel Cotto’

Miguel Cotto opts to fight Austin Trout after turning down Manny Pacquiao

Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font
Miguel Cotto

Miguel Cotto’s only losses have come to Antonio Margarito (controversially), Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather. (Eric Jamison/AP)

Junior middleweight Miguel Cotto will return to the ring Dec. 1 at Madison Square Garden against undefeated American Austin Trout, industry sources confirmed to SI.com.

Cotto (37-3) is coming off a unanimous decision loss to Floyd Mayweather in May. Cotto had been a candidate to face Manny Pacquiao in a rematch of Pacquiao’s electrifying knockout win in 2009. However, Cotto turned down an offer from Pacquiao’s camp earlier this week. Instead, Cotto will face Trout (25-0), a 26-year-old who defeated Delvin Rodriguez by unanimous, albeit dull, decision in June.

Though Cotto-Trout will likely be billed as a world title fight, it’s one on paper only. Mayweather is the WBA “super” champion, having won the belt from Cotto. Trout is the WBA’s “regular” champion; in a blatant cash grab, the sanctioning body elevated Cotto from “regular” champion to “super” champion in 2011, creating another title it can collect fees from.

The announcement of Cotto-Trout will have a domino effect: Pacquiao had been deciding between Dec. 1 and Dec. 8 as the date for his next fight. With Cotto locked into the former, Pacquiao will likely move to the latter in a rematch against Tim Bradley or a fourth fight with Juan Manuel Marquez.

– Chris Mannix


  • Published On Aug 31, 2012
  • Report: Manny Pacquiao didn’t need to move fight over paperwork issue

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    Manny Pacquiao, a congressman in the Philippines with lofty political aspirations, has designs on the office of governor of Sarangani province in 2013. (AP)

    The intrigue surrounding Manny Pacquiao’s next fight continues to simmer.

    The Filipino puncher’s first outing since a controversial loss to Timothy Bradley had long been scheduled for Nov. 10 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas against an opponent to be determined, with Bradley, Juan Manuel Marquez and Miguel Cotto — all previous Pacquiao opponents — among the leading contenders.

    On Wednesday, longtime Pacquiao advisor Michael Koncz told ESPN.com the fight had been moved to Dec. 1 due to issues with his re-election campaign for the congressional seat he holds in the Philippines. Koncz said Pacquiao was required to submit his certificate of candidacy in person and didn’t want to interrupt his training for two days in October with less than a month before the fight.

    However, a spokesperson for the Philippine Commission on Elections told the Philippine Daily Inquirer that Pacquiao in fact does not need to submit his certificate in person, but can send the documents through an authorized representative.

    The inconsistent messages surrounding the postponement have only further fueled rumors, perhaps borne from desperate hope of fight fans and media, that Pacquiao’s team is working to make the long-anticipated megafight with Floyd Mayweather.

    Koncz flatly denied the Mayweather speculation, however, saying he doubts the undefeated American will fight again before 2013 after recently serving two months of a three-month sentence in a misdemeanor battery case.

    “As you know, we’re willing and able to fight Floyd anytime he wants, but I don’t believe he is ready,” Koncz told ESPN.com. “Floyd just got out of (county jail). He’s spending time with his family. He’s enjoying his freedom. He has money left over from the last fight after being in jail for two months. I don’t see Floyd going into the ring until next year, but who knows? I have no confirmation of his schedule. I’m just glad he’s out of jail. I wish him all the luck in the world and so does Manny, but I don’t see Floyd fighting before us this year.”

    – SI.com staff


  • Published On Aug 23, 2012
  • Floyd Mayweather-Miguel Cotto fight does 1.5 million pay-per-view buys

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    The May 5 fight between Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto did 1.5 million pay-per-view buys, HBO Sports announced Friday.

    The $94 million in revenue generated by Mayweather-Cotto represents the second highest grossing non-heavyweight pay-per-view event in history, trailing only Mayweather’s 2007 fight with Oscar De La Hoya. That fight did a whopping 2.4 million buys for $137 million in revenue.

    Mayweather has now generated 9.6 million buys in his nine pay-per-view fights, representing $540 million in revenue.

    Aside from Mayweather-De La Hoya, only four pay-per-view events have surpassed the buy total from Saturday’s fight: Holyfield-Tyson II in June 1997 (1.99 million buys), Lewis-Tyson in June 2002 (1.97 million), Holyfield-Tyson I in November 1996 (1.59 million) and Tyson-McNeeley in August 1995 (1.55 million).

    Mayweather improved to 43-0 and captured the WBA super welterweight championship with a unanimous-decision victory over Cotto, but not before enduring what many regarded as his toughest test in years.

    HBO will replay the Mayweather-Cotto fight, along with the co-feature between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Shane Mosley, on Saturday night (10:15 p.m. ET/PT).

    Mayweather’s 21-month retirement, which ended in 2009, did little to diminish his value as an attraction, as evidenced by subsequent fights with Juan Manuel Marquez (1.05 million buys), Mosley (1.4 million), Victor Ortiz (1.25 million) and Cotto (1.5 million).

    Over that span, Manny Pacquiao — Mayweather’s lone rival to the mythical pound-for-pound throne — has posted comparable numbers in fights with Cotto (1.25 million), Josh Clottey (700,000), Antonio Margarito (1.15 million), Mosley (1.34 million) and a third fight with Marquez (1.45 million).

    – Bryan Armen Graham


  • Published On May 11, 2012
  • Floyd Mayweather passes post-fight drug test, commission confirms

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    An Internet rumor that gained steam Tuesday alleged Floyd Mayweather failed a drug test related to Saturday’s super welterweight title fight against Miguel Cotto.

    “Not true from our end,” said Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, in an email to SI.com. “All tests negative so far.”

    Kizer confirmed Mayweather’s post-fight test result was negative, as were those Cotto, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Shane Mosley.

    The pre-fight test results will be available on Friday, Kizer said.

    – Bryan Armen Graham


  • Published On May 08, 2012
  • UFC on Fox 3 ratings continue downward trend

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    The meteoric rise of the UFC hit a pocket of turbulence Tuesday with the release of the ratings for Saturday’s UFC on Fox 3 card.

    The May 5 telecast averaged 2.42 million viewers (for a household rating of 1.5), down from 5.7 million for UFC on Fox 1 and 4.7 million for UFC on Fox 2.

    By comparison, the NASCAR Nationwide Series Aaron’s 312, which aired earlier in the day, outdrew it with a 2.0 rating. (And that’s not the highest series of racing in NASCAR). The Kentucky Derby drew a 9.0 overnight rating from 6 and 7 p.m. ET on NBC. It was narrowly beaten by the NHL Eastern Conference semifinal between the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals between 12:15 and 3:15 p.m, which posted a household rating of 1.6.

    UFC on Fox 3 did earn a rating of 1.6 among 18-to-34-year-old men, its primary demographic, but that’s also down from the promotion’s first (4.3) and second (3.2) network-televised cards since it signed a seven-year multi-media rights agreement with Fox in August.

    The main card of Saturday’s event at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J., saw lightweight contender Nate Diaz submit Jim Miller. Johny Hendricks, Alan Belcher and Lavar Johnson also prevailed in nationally televised bouts.

    UFC on Fox 3 faced competition from both an NBA playoff doubleheader on TNT and the undercard of the super welterweight championship fight between Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto on HBO Pay-Per-View.

    UFC on Fox 4 is scheduled for August 4 at Staples Center in Los Angeles (8 p.m. ET, Fox), with Hector Lombard-Brian Stann and Ryan Bader-Lyoto Machida among the headlining bouts.

    – Bryan Armen Graham


  • Published On May 08, 2012
  • Official Floyd Mayweather-Miguel Cotto scorecard

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    Here it is. Both Sports Illustrated writers at ringside scored it 116-112 to Mayweather.

    Judges Dave Moretti and Patricia Morse Jarman both scored it 117-111 to Floyd, while Robert Hoyle (rather harshly) had it 118-110.

    All three judges gave the last four rounds to Mayweather.


  • Published On May 06, 2012
  • Three thoughts from Mayweather-Cotto

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font
    Mayweather vs. Cotto

    Despite lopsided scorecards, Miguel Cotto put up an admirable effort against Floyd Mayweather. (AP)

    LAS VEGAS — Three quick thoughts from Floyd Mayweather’s unanimous decision win over Miguel Cotto…

    Don’t let the scorecards fool you. This was a fight. Cotto came into the ring with a brilliant gameplan, pushing Mayweather into the corner and making him fight with his back against the ropes. He was competitive in virtually every round and scuffed Mayweather’s face more than any fighter in recent memory. Mayweather was more precise, landing 26 percent of his punches to Cotto’s 21 percent. The judges scored it 117-111 (twice), 118-110 and the consensus was they were right on; SI.com scored it 116-112 for Mayweather. But this decision was in doubt when the fight went into the later rounds and Mayweather will be the first to tell you this was a very difficult fight.

    And now…Manny Pacquiao? Mayweather was unusually direct in his post-fight interview, calling for Top Rank promoter Bob Arum to give the fans what they want to see and make a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight. But Mayweather is obtuse on the lingering issue, the split. He is insisting on something closer to 60-40 while Arum and Pacquiao are set on 50-50. As long as that gulf exists, this fight is still going to be a fantasy.

    Cotto will move on. Cotto did nothing to tarnish his name in the ring, and the big fights will continue to come his way. He’s still an elite 154-pounder and a big pay per view draw with a terrific fan base in New York. Sergio Martinez would love a shot at him while a showdown with Mexican prospect Saul Alvarez–who blew out Shane Mosley on the undercard–would do big business and be a firefight. Cotto’s future now may be brighter than ever.

    – Chris Mannix


  • Published On May 06, 2012
  • Evander Holyfield, ringside for Mayweather-Cotto, wants a Klitschko

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    Evander Holyfield, at 49 years old, says he’s still active and would like to fight for the heavyweight title against one of the Klitschko brothers. (AP)

    LAS VEGAS — Evander Holyfield is five months shy of his 50th birthday but the former undisputed heavyweight champion still believes he will be the current  undisputed heavyweight champion.

    “I’d like to fight a Klitschko,” Holyfield said Saturday at ringside during the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather-Miguel Cotto fight. “I want to be a champion. I’ll fight any one of the champions.”

    Holyfield has been out of the ring since last May, when he knocked out Brian Nielsen. Holyfield says he is still active and hopes to have a fight before the end of the year. But there’s a catch: He says he will only fight again if it is a title fight.

    “If I have to fight somebody else, why fight?” Holyfield said. “I’m only interested in championship fights.”

    Holyfield could technically fight for a title without going through one of the Klitschkos. Alexander Povetkin holds the WBA “regular” heavyweight title — the organization bizarrely elevated Wladimir Klitschko to “super champion” shortly after he won the title from David Haye — and rumors persist that Povetkin’s promoter, Sauerland Event, is interested in making a Povetkin-Holyfield fight later in the year.

    “At the age of 50, I thought I’d be to be out of the game,” Holyfield said. “I thought I would have accomplished all I wanted to accomplish. But I still want to fight for the title.”

    – Chris Mannix


  • Published On May 05, 2012
  • Mayweather-Cotto undercard results

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    Carlos Quintana (left) delivered a notable upset Saturday with his sixth-round knockout of DeAndre Latimore on the Mayweather-Cotto undercard. (AP)

    Check back on SI.com later for a full-length column on tonight’s co-feature bout between Canelo Alvarez and Shane Mosley.

    LAS VEGAS — Up-and-coming welterweight Jessie Vargas, a much fancied Floyd Mayweather protege, stayed unbeaten (19-0, 9 KOs) with a unanimous-decision victory over late replacement Steve Forbes (35-11, 11 KOs).

    “It feels great,” said Vargas, who won by scores of 100-90, 97-93 and 98-92 on the three judges’ scorecards. “I showed my boxing skills. I was in there with a veteran and I outboxed him. It was a totally different game plan with just a week to prepare, [but] I showed I can box any style.”

    Said Forbes: “He moved around more than I thought. It was smart on his side. I’m not really a welterweight and I took this fight at the last minute; I thought it was a closer fight than [the scores].”

    Carlos Quintana, a former welterweight titleholder considered well past his prime, surprised the half-full MGM Grand Garden Arena with a vicious sixth-round knockout of DeAndre Latimore. The 35-year-old Quintana (29-3, 23 KOs) punctuated a string of punches with a lunging left that floored Latimore (23-4, 17 KOs), a well-regarded Mayweather Promotions prospect, who nearly rolled out of the ring before rising to his feet. Yet referee Kenny Bayless was unsatisfied with Latimore’s response, calling a stop to the halt to the action at 2:19 of the sixth.

    “It was a very good fight, I’m very happy,” Quinatana said afterward, who predicted a “very good night for Puerto Rico.”

    “I kept going for his eye and it paid off,” said Quintana, who connected on 108 of 328 punches (33 percent), compared to 55 of 237 (23 percent) for Latimore. “I went 15 months without fighting, so it’s great to be back.”

    Miguel Cotto and his wife observed the Quintana upset from ringside before retreating to the locker room afterward to prepare for the main event.

    In the last fight of the non-PPV undercard, Puerto Rican featherweight prospect Braulio Santos (6-0, 5 KOs) scored a unanimous-decision victory over Juan Sandoval (5-9-1, 3 KOs) of San Bernardino, Calif. Extended the distance for the first time in his career, Santos roughed his way to a wide but hard-fought verdict, winning 59-55 on all three judges’ scorecards.

    Omar Figueroa (16-0-1, 13 KOs) scored a second-round TKO of Robbie Cannon (12-7-2, 6 KOs) in an eight-round lightweight fight. Figueroa, of Weslaco, Texas,  floored Cannon with a body shot in the first round, then again in the second before referee Vic Drakulich intervened at the 2:08 mark.

    Keith Thurman (17-0, 16 KOs) stopped Brandon Hoskins (16-1-1, 8 KOs) at 0:25 of the third round in an eight-round welterweight bout.

    In the night’s first bout, welterweight prospect and San Diego native Antonio Orozco (14-0, 10 KOs) continued his rise with a third-round TKO of Dillet Frederick (8-6-3, 5 KOs) of Fort Myers, Fla.

    – Bryan Armen Graham


  • Published On May 05, 2012
  • MGM Grand sports book abuzz with Mayweather-Cotto looming

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    Click to enlarge the most recent odds sheet for Saturday’s super welterweight title fight between Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto.

    LAS VEGAS — As tonight’s Floyd Mayweather-Miguel Cotto fight draws near, the most recent odds from the MGM Grand sports book are reflecting moderate late action on the underdog.

    Mayweather remains a lopsided favorite in the super welterweight title fight (9 p.m. ET, $59.95, HBO PPV), though the odds against Cotto have shortened to 5-to-1 at press time — down from 6-to-1 earlier this week.

    The trend should come as no surprise to anyone who attended Friday’s weigh-in, where crowd support skewed heavily in support of Cotto. More than 6,000 fans booed lustily when footage of Mayweather’s knockout of Mexican-American champion Victor Ortiz was shown on dual projection screens, stoking passions that had already been running high during Cinco de Mayo weekend.

    Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, who opened as a 10-to-1 favorite against Shane Mosley in tonight’s co-feature bout, was a 9-to-1 favorite on Saturday, one of the busiest days of the year at the 5,300-square-foot betting arena.

    Hordes of soccer fans made for an energetic, standing-room-only environs Saturday morning, as Chelsea’s 2-1 victory over Liverpool in the FA Cup Final was broadcast in nearly half of the thirty-six 60-inch plasma televisions and twenty-four 42-inch screens. Even at 11 a.m. local time, the line of bettors extended far past the windows outside the state-of-the-art betting parlor, thanks to a full slate of events including tonight’s fights, the Kentucky Derby, the NBA and NHL playoff and Major League Baseball games.

    One middle-aged punter insisted the smart money on tonight’s Mayweather-Cotto fight was the rounds proposition: If the fight ends before the 10th round, a $100 bet returns $190 in winnings. If the fight extends past the 10th, it requires a wager of $230 to win $100.

    “Cotto’s a bleeder and he’ll be there to hit,” said Stephen Thompson, a longtime fight fan (and Chelsea supporter) visiting from London. “I see cuts playing a role in the fight and the referee will have no choice but to stop it.”

    – Bryan Armen Graham


  • Published On May 05, 2012


  •