Posts Tagged ‘Marco Huck’

10 months later, Marco Huck and Firat Arslan to fight again

Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font
Marco Huck (left) still thinks that he defeated Firat Arslan when they fought in November. (AP)

Marco Huck (left) still thinks that he defeated Firat Arslan when they fought in November. (AP)

Last November, cruiserweight titleholder Marco Huck and Firat Arslan engaged in a physical, back and forth fight that ended with Huck escaping with a narrow decision. In September, they will do it again. On Thursday, Sauerland Event announced that Huck (36-2-1) will defend his WBO title against Arslan (33-6-2) on September 14th in Stuttgart, Germany.

“I still believe that I won our first fight,” Arslan said. “I should be the world champion. I won’t let my second chance to capture the crown just slip away. This is a fight right on my own home turf.”

While Arslan, 42, last fought in April, Huck, 28, will be making a quick return to the ring after defending his title last month against archrival Ola Afolabi. Both Arslan and Huck have fought once since their showdown last year, with both picking up decision wins. 

Huck remains convinced he won the first fight, but he understands Arslan’s desire for a rematch. 

“I understand that Firat is disappointed, I was in the same position after I fought Alexander Povetkin,” Huck said. “I saw myself as the winner in that match up, but the judges didn’t. That is exactly why I always said that I would give Firat a rematch even if he wasn’t my mandatory challenger.”

– Chris Mannix


  • Published On Jul 11, 2013
  • Marco Huck, Ola Afolabi ready to battle for cruiserweight belt

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font
    Ola Afolabi and Marco Huck know one another well, and the two will battle again on June 8 in Berlin. [Jens Meyer/AP]

    Ola Afolabi and Marco Huck know each other well, and the two will battle again on June 8 in Berlin. [Jens Meyer/AP]

    The cruiserweight division doesn’t get much press in the U.S., in part because most of the top fighters are European and also because many see the division as boxing limbo, a weight class for those that have outgrown light heavyweight and just aren’t big enough to contend with the heavyweights. Ask the casual fan to name the last cruiserweight fight they sat down and watched, and more often than not you will be met with a blank stare.

    That’s too bad because over the last few years Marco Huck and Ola Afolabi have tangled in two entertaining fights. In 2009, Huck outpoint Afolabi, winning a back and forth bout that saw both land huge shots. They fought again last year, and again both teed off on each other, going 12 rounds in a fight that ended in a draw.

    On June 8, Huck (35-2-1) and Afolabi (19-2-4) will meet again. Huck’s WBO cruiserweight title will be on the line, a prize Afolabi craves.

    “My attitude is pretty simple,” Afolabi said. “This was my belt, this is my belt and I am coming to finally take it from him. I honestly do not see how I could lose this fight. I have been working to hard on myself and on the tactics. I should already have won the title last year. Now the time has finally come.”

    After two physical fights, Afolabi expects another violent encounter.

    “Huck always comes to fight,” Afolabi said. “When he turns up, he is going for it. He is a bit like a robot and just keeps coming. He is actually too tough to know when he has been hurt.”

    Afolabi believes that changes in his diet in this camp will give him more stamina in the later rounds.

    “I am eating properly and take vitamin supplements,” Afolabi said. “I quit eating cheeseburgers and other junk food and have turned to healthy food instead. It makes a huge difference. I could make the weight for the fight right now. So by not having to make weight I can concentrate on my training and keep my focus.”

    “I am not going into the fight looking for a knockout. That would increase the risk of over-pacing during the first few rounds. However, I see myself stopping Huck early. Regardless of that, I am going to do whatever it takes to leave the ring as the winner.”

    Chris Mannix


  • Published On May 30, 2013
  • Quick Jabs: Lucian Bute’s underwhelming victory, Jean Pascal’s return and more

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    Lucian Bute (right) showed little in Saturday’s points win over Denis Grachev (left) that suggested a rematch with Carl Froch would go any differently. (AP)

    Some quick jabs …

    • Lucian Bute needed a win to regain his confidence after last May’s devastating knockout loss to Carl Froch. But nothing I saw in Bute’s unanimous-decision win over Denis Grachev on Saturday convinced me Bute will beat Froch in a rematch, tentatively scheduled for next March. Bute looked tentative at times, was backed up way too often and looked clueless when forced to fight on the inside. Put it simple: If that Bute shows up against Froch, it will be lights out again.

    • A quick thought on Grachev: I believed he was a good fighter when the Bute fight was made, and I still do. The fight was close — the 118-110 card submitted by Canadian judge Claude Paquette reeked of hometown scoring — and Grachev was the aggressor throughout. The super middleweight division is loaded and I would have no problem seeing Grachev in a big fight next year.

    • Maybe it’s just me, but I’m really looking forward to Wladimir Klitschko’s fight against undefeated 6-foot-8 challenger Mariusz Wach. I think it has the potential to be a pretty good fight.

    • Count me among the many disappointed that Tyson Fury’s fight against Denis Boytsov has been called off. Fury-Boytsov was just the kind of fight the heavyweight division needs: a matchup between two undefeated, would-be contenders that would bolster the resume of the winner and weed the loser out of the division rankings. What’s worse, Boytsov pulled out because, according to his promoter, he wasn’t going to be in shape for the fight. Not in shape? Then why did he agree to the fight in the first place?

    • Marco Huck’s entertaining cruiserweight title defense over 42-year old Firat Arslan was fun to watch but provided incontestable proof that Huck should not go anywhere near Wladimir Klitschko. Huck is young (27) but is showing the wear and tear of a fighter who doesn’t know how to duck. A matchup with Klitschko — which Huck has publicly pleaded for — would be criminal.

    • Hey, look, Jean Pascal is coming back. That is until Pascal — inactive since losing to Bernard Hopkins in May 2011 — finds a reason not fight. Between Pascal and Andre Dirrell, I’m not sure who has wasted more prime fighting years.

    • Almost four pounds over the light heavyweight limit. Way to be professional, Allan Green.

    • This 50 Cent-Floyd Mayweather feud is pretty entertaining, and it only figures to get better. History suggests that 50 will soon release a track bashing Mayweather and Mayweather will use the press tour for his next fight to verbally smack 50 around all over the country. Still, in a battle for the boxing industry, my money is on Mayweather. Floyd is a marketing genius with the biggest draw in town — himself — in his stable. 50 Cent has an unwatchable fighter in Billy Dib, an inactive one in Andre Dirrell and another, Yuri Gamboa, who may be on his way back to Top Rank. 50 is a gifted recording artist but he doesn’t seem to have a clue about how to make it in boxing.

    • Memo to Tom Loeffler: Keep Gennady Golovkin away from the super middleweights. The latest intel has Golovkin returning in January against either Edwin Rodriguez or Thomas Oosthuizen, two 168-pounders. Golovkin is powerful and seriously skilled but he is not a particularly big middleweight (5-foot-10) and it makes no sense for him to be moving up. I admire Golovkin’s willingness to take on all comers, but a better fight — with the understanding that neither Daniel Geale or Peter Quillin will face him — is Matthew Macklin. Golovkin-Macklin would sell a lot of tickets at the Madison Square Garden theater and be a pretty good fight.

    – Chris Mannix


  • Published On Nov 06, 2012
  • Rep for Wladimir Klitschko scoffs at $6.5 million offer from Marco Huck

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    Marco Huck (above) is stepping up his efforts in an ongoing campaign for a shot at reigning heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko. (AP)

    For the past few months, cruiserweight titleholder Marco Huck — who lost a competitive decision to Alexander Povetkin in February — has been campaigning for a shot at unified heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko. On Thursday, Huck’s promoter, Sauerland Event, upped the ante, issuing a press release offering Klitschko five million Euros — roughly $6.5 million — for the fight.

    “Bernd Boente, Klitschko’s manager, has been talking to Marco directly about the possibility of fighting Klitschko,” promoter Kalle Sauerland said. “Now we have used the official channels to approach them with an offer. Of course, we are now expecting them to come up with a counter-offer. We are always willing to hold personal talks to discuss the terms for such a fight. Then we will see if they will actually put their money where their mouth is. We definitely want to make this fight happen.”

    According to Sauerland, if Huck (34-2), who will defend his title against Firat Arslan on Saturday, wins, he wants Klitschko to be his next opponent.

    In a telephone interview with SI.com, Boente scoffed at the offer.

    “The offer was ridiculous,” Boente said. “The offer to us would be a buyout. We would give up all rights. We have an exclusive deal with [European network] RTL to broadcast all Klitschko fights. They work with ARD. We have been working with RTL since 2006. It doesn’t matter if the offer was $100 million. We cannot breach that contract. They know that.”

    “[Sauerland] always does these things before a Huck fight because they know no one is interested in a Huck fight. They are trying to use the Klitschko’s for p.r. It was not a serious offer.”

    – Chris Mannix


  • Published On Nov 01, 2012
  • Huck to drop down, defend cruiser title

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font
    Marco Huck

    Marco Huck (right) impressed in his heavyweight debut, despite losing a narrow decision to Alexander Povetkin (Thomas Kienzle/Getty Images).

    Cruiserweight titleholder Marco Huck, who impressed in his heavyweight debut despite earning a narrow loss to Alexander Povetkin last month, has decided to drop back down to cruiserweight to defend his title. Huck will defend his belt against mandatory challenger Ola Afolabi.

    “We believe that defending his WBO cruiserweight title is the best thing for Marco to do,” said Huck’s promoter, Wilfried Sauerland. “At the age of 27 he is still very young for a boxer. He can always move up to heavyweight later.”

    Huck won the WBO title in 2009 and made eight defenses of it — including a competitive decision win over Afolabi — before deciding to make the jump to cruiserweight. In the aftermath of the loss to Povetkin, Huck called for an immediate rematch. But with Povetkin required to fulfill a mandatory defense of his minor title against Hasim Rahman in his next fight, Huck elected to go back and defend his title.

    “I would have loved to remain at heavyweight but my team convinced me to stay at cruiserweight for the time being,” Huck said. “That’s fine for me. I am happy to continue my domination and keep destroying opponents. I will start with Afolabi. He is a dangerous fighter but he has no chance against me.”

    Sauerland Event GM Chris Meyer told SI.com that a Povetkin-Huck rematch was possible — if both fighters want it.

    “We would love to do the rematch, though there is always bad blood if two fighters in one stable fight each other,” Meyer said. At the end it is only up to the fighters if they want to do it.”

    – Chris Mannix


  • Published On Mar 08, 2012
  • Povetkin earns decision over Huck to retain his WBA heavyweight title

    Decrease fontDecrease font
    Enlarge fontEnlarge font

    Alexander Povetkin improved to 24-0 and retained his WBA heavyweight title with a points decision over Marco Huck. (Thomas Kienzle/Getty Images)

    STUTTGART, Germany — Three thoughts on Alexander Povetkin’s decision win over Marco Huck.

    I got hit with a shoe.  The pro-Huck crowd wasn’t happy with the decision and I was an unintentional victim of one perturbed fan’s frustration. Still, while judge Stanley Christodoulou’s 116-112 card was a bit wide, the right guy won the fight. Povetkin was in control early, and Huck blew multiple opportunities to put Povetkin away. As Povetkin faded, Huck got stronger but the cruiserweight champion just couldn’t land enough punches to finish Povetkin off. Povetkin’s punches didn’t do much damage in the later rounds but he was still throwing, still active, while Huck ignored his corner’s pleas to fire more uppercuts at Povetkin’s exposed chin.

    Paging, Teddy Atlas.  Povetkin looked gassed from the fourth round on and you have to wonder whether being without Atlas, who split with Povetkin after Povetkin refused to train in the U.S. for this fight, had something to do with it. Povetkin’s new trainer, Alexander Zimin, is accomplished but there is no question Povetkin’s conditioning was subpar. Povetkin could not explain his sluggishness, telling me in the ring his training and sparring had been perfect. One of Atlas’s strengths is motivation, which might be something Povetkin needs more than he thought. Reconciliation may be impossible-in interviews, Atlas said he felt betrayed by Povetkin-but Povetkin’s promoter, Sauerland Event, might want to think about trying hard to get him back.

    Marco Huck is a heavyweight.  Klitschkos aside — no one is beating them, anyway — Huck has the talent to compete with any heavyweight. Huck carried the same aggressive, straight ahead style up from cruiserweight and had Povetkin wobbled on several occasions; when the bell sounded for the 12th round, Povetkin was twisting like a tree in the wind in his corner. A rematch would mean big business in Germany — Huck said he wants one, Povetkin is open to it — and there is no reason to think it wouldn’t be just as competitive. Or entertaining. Huck can always go back to the 200-pound weight class and defend his title, but heavyweight is where the money is, so expect Huck to stay put.


  • Published On Feb 25, 2012


  •