Email
Print
Email
Print

Quick Jabs: Manny Pacquiao in no rush to fight, Glazkov-Scott card could be unwatchable, more

Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font
Manny Pacquiao

Despite rumors, Manny Pacquiao probably will not be fighting in April. (AP)

• Speculation has been rampant in the boxing industry that Manny Pacquiao could return to the ring in April, possibly in a fight in Singapore, Macau or Abu Dhabi. Yet I’m told that there is no sense of urgency to rush Pacquiao back into the ring.

Pacquiao’s trainer, Freddie Roach, told SI.com recently that he prefers that Pacquiao — who was brutally knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez last month — stay out of the ring until September. Pacquiao’s promoter, Top Rank, isn’t pushing to make the fight, partly because getting a $10-million site fee secured in the next two months would not be easy, and partly because Top Rank, like Roach, doesn’t see any need to rush back in the ring, not with another $30 million payday coming Pacquiao’s way in a potential fifth fight with Marquez. Most of the talk of a comeback fight is coming from Pacquiao’s business advisor, Michael Koncz, who will need the full support of Top Rank to make the fight happen. And right now, he doesn’t have it.

• Last week, Main Events announced that heavyweight prospect Vyacheslav “Czar” Glazkov would headline an NBC Sports Network Fight Night show against undefeated Malik Scott on February 23. Now there has been some backlash to the choice of Scott. Despite good size (6-foot-3) and an unblemished record, Scott is rarely, if ever, in an entertaining fight, preferring to jab his way to lopsided wins on the outside against inferior opposition. It’s how his career has gone and, at 32, it’s likely how his career is going to be.

Certainly Scott wasn’t the promoters’ first choice. Main Events thought it had a deal with heavy-handed heavyweight Magomed Abdusalamov before he backed out. They it turned to Joe Hanks, Jason Estrada, Travis Kauffman, David Rodriguez, Justin Jones and Franklin Lawrence. Each turned the offer down.

There is plenty of upside for Glazkov (14-0). Beating Scott (35-0) would be a nice feather in his cap. The fear though is that Scott, as he has done his whole career, will use his length, box on the outside and win a boring, unwatchable decision. And for Main Events, which has made Fight Night a success largely by putting together exciting fights, that would be a disaster.

• Shane Mosley, whose skills have deteriorated significantly in recent years and who retired following a lopsided decision defeat to Saul Alvarez last May, is coming out of retirement to challenge welterweight titleholder Paulie Malignaggi at the Barclays Center in April. Putting aside that Mosley, 41, whose declining motor skills have been noticeable to reporters who have interviewed him the last few years, has reached the point where just fighting is especially dangerous, there is almost no way that can be an entertaining fight.

• British promoter Frank Warren announced a terrific card to be held March 16 at Wembley Stadium in London. Headlining will be lightweight titleholder Ricky Burns, who will attempt to unify the 135-pound titles against fellow titleholder Miguel Vazquez. In addition, light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly will defend his belt against mandatory challenger Robin Krasniqi, super middleweight prospect George Groves will face Mouhamed Ali Ndiaye, and Dereck Chisora, who has not fought since being knocked out by David Haye last summer, will face an undetermined opponent.

Chisora’s participation in the show is contingent on him being relicensed by the British Boxing Board of Control, which suspended Chisora’s license indefinitely after he provoked an ugly brawl with Haye last year.

The card will be televised in the U.S. on Epix and EpixHD.com.

• Heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek will likely have to deal with charges stemming from an arrest for driving under the influence in upstate New York last week, but physically Adamek emerged from the three-car wreck unscathed. Adamek reportedly crashed his car into a parked vehicle, which was pushed into another parked car, while driving late Saturday night near Lake Placid, N.Y.

Adamek is hoping to face Kubrat Pulev later this year in a fight that will determine the next mandatory challenger for Wladimir Klitschko.

“Fortunately, he’s fine,” said Adamek’s promoter, Kathy Duva, in an email. “This will not affect his next fight.”

• Undefeated heavyweight Denis Boytsov, who is recovering from elbow surgery, has resumed training again. I’ll care when the oft-injured Boytsov starts fighting again.

• Lightweight Adrien Broner’s impressive stoppage of Antonio DeMarco last November has many clamoring to see him in more big fights, including some at junior welterweight, one of the deepest divisions in boxing. However Broner, 23, has no plans to move up in weight anytime soon.

“That’s what everybody wants you to do,” Broner said. “They have just seen me dominate and put on a great performance… but I just moved up to this weight [135 pounds]. I still make the weight [by] eating steak and potatoes every night at training camp. I make the weight comfortably, so I’m going to stay here for a lot of good fights that I still can have at 135-pounds.  So, I’m going to flush out this lightweight division and then we can go up to the light welterweight and crush their dreams. We’re going to stay here for a while.”

• An interesting fight under discussion for the spring: Steve Cunningham, the former cruiserweight titleholder coming off a controversial loss to Tomasz Adamek last month, against Tyson Fury, the big (6-foot-8) heavyweight prospect who has been looking for name opponents.

-Chris Mannix

  • Published On Jan 15, 2013
  • 4 comments
    Flomojr Mayweather
    Flomojr Mayweather

    @Ready Rumbler - Pacquiao never avoided a 3rd fight with Marquez.  After the second fight, Pacquiao went up 3 weight divisions while Marquez stayed back.  Infact, Marquez avoided Pacquiao for an immediate rematch after the 1st fight, rejecting a 6 figure payday to fight and lose to Chris John for a measely $25K payday.  Even Marquez's camp acknowledges that Pacquiao did them a favor in granting Marquez this past 4th fight.   And of course, regardless of the loss, Pacquiao still controls the negotiating because he's the bigger box office draw.

    ReadyRumbler
    ReadyRumbler

    Considering Marquez's age, I'd push for the fight as soon as possible if I were in his position. Often times, fighters can grow old overnight. It also doesn't benefit him to allow Pacquiao so much time to recuperate. Remember, Pacquiao avoided the third fight for years, until everyone was convinced Marquez was too old and small to be competitive, so Marquez shouldn't turn around and cater to Pac's demands now that the tables have turned. He should make Pac come down to 140 and schedule the fight in April or May, preferably Cinco de Mayo weekend in Mexico City.

    NorbertoManuel
    NorbertoManuel

    Yes, there is no rush for Pacquiao to fight.  He needs first to draw the line which want to choose, politics or boxing. As he is aging his body physical complexion cannot be tied to multi tasking.  His health is on the line if he pushes himself up. His body oiled machine cannot suffer compare to his physical condition many years back. Take it or leave, politics or boxing.

    ReadyRumbler
    ReadyRumbler

    Marquez turned down the immediate rematch with Pac after their first meeting because he was on bad terms with his then promoter Bob Arum, who he felt hadn't delivered on his promises throughout his career and was short changing him. He actually he ended up traveling to Indonesia in an attempt to reclaim his title because of Arum. Arum refused to place a purse bid on his mandatory defense, which led to his being stripped and his title being handed over to John in Indonesia where he's pretty much held it hostage over the years. Once Marquez parted ways with Arum, he started calling Pacquiao out the rematch, but Pacquiao delayed it for years and was planning to skip over Marquez at Super Featherweight, and instead make the move to lightweight without having challenged for a world title at Super Featherweight. Even Arum acknowledged that the only reason the second fight took place was due to Marquez and Golden Boy making them an incredible offer that they were unable to resist, despite Marquez being the champion. After the controversial decision in that fight, Marquez offered to face Pac at the weight of his choosing and Golden Boy offered him a career high multi million dollar payday, but Pac chose to fight David Diaz for less. Marquez even went so far as to travel to the Philippines and challenge him face to face, but Pac made it clear he wanted no part of him. After the Diaz fight, he faced De La Hoya, in a fight that you can't fault him for taking considering the purse offered, however, before that fight was negotiated, Arum was planning to have Pac defend his lightweight title, and several possible opponents were mentioned, but Marquez was never even considered. Team Pac didn't seriously consider Marquez again until last year, when most people believed he'd easily be koed by Pac. That obviously didn't happen as Pac escaped with another controversial decision. No Pac didn't have to offer Marquez a fourth fight, but Pac would have had to live with much of the public, including many in his own homeland, believing he was undeserving of the decision. And Pac was confident that he could overwhelm Marquez with aggression in a fourth fight, but ultimately, it was his aggression that led to him lying unconscious on the canvas face first. If Pac did Marquez a favor by offering him a 4th fight, then Marquez is doing Pac a tremendous favor by delaying his retirement just to face him, and he deserves to be compensated accordingly. After all, Pac's stock has fallen dramatically since his ko, while Marquez's is soaring. Pac said he'd pay money out of his own pocket to make the 5th fight, well it's time for him to put up or shut up. If Marquez isn't satisfied with the deal, he always has the option of riding off into the sunset on a career high victory.

    Trackbacks

    1. [...] • Speculation has been rampant in the boxing industry that Manny Pacquiao could return to the ring in April, possibly in a fight in Singapore, Macau or Abu Dhabi. Yet I’m told that there is no sense of urgency to rush Pacquiao back into the ring.. Quick Jabs: Manny Pacquiao in no rush to fight, Glazkov-Scott card could be unwatchable, more was first posted here. [...]

    2. [...] • Speculation has been rampant in the boxing industry that Manny Pacquiao could return to the ring in April, possibly in a fight in Singapore, Macau or Abu Dhabi. Yet I’m told that there is no sense of urgency to rush Pacquiao back into the ring.. Read the rest of Quick Jabs: Manny Pacquiao in no rush to fight, Glazkov-Scott card could be unwatchable, more here. [...]

    3. [...] According to an ESPN report, Pacquiao has been offered $10 million to fight in Dubai in April. There has been speculation about a potential opportunity to participate in a warm-up match, to which trainer Freddie Roach was at one point opposed (via SI.com). [...]