Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. says he’s never smoked marijuana, blames positive drug test on insomnia medication
Former middleweight beltholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. addressed his indefinite suspension and $20,000 fine for marijuana use Thursday in a television interview.
The appearance on Nación ESPN, a Spanish-language talk show on ESPN Deportes, marked Chavez’s first public comments since his positive drug test following his Sept. 15 defeat to Sergio Martinez.
Chavez said he’s never smoked marijuana, claiming he’d been prescribed eyedrops for his insomnia that contained cannabis.
“I’m not a drug addict, I have never smoked marijuana. For years I have had insomnia, so I went to the doctor and he prescribed some drops for me that contained cannabis. I stopped taking them before the fight with [Sergio] Martinez, and I didn’t think I was going to test positive,” said Chavez in Spanish from his home in Mexico. “I have great respect for [WBC president] Jose Sulaiman, I guess what they do is for my good and boxing, but I find it unfair.”
Chavez lost his WBC middleweight title to Martinez in a high-profile fight that attracted 475,000 pay-per-view buys and a $3 million gate. On Thursday, the WBC announced his indefinite suspension and $20,000 fine. The Nevada State Athletic Commission has yet to mete out its punishment.
“Now I hope the opinion of the Commission of Nevada [is positive],” Chavez continued. “I hope they realize the truth, that I have not lied about anything, and I hope the punishment won’t be a heavy one. Let there be a rematch, and we will work with renewed vigor, and I’ll take whatever test they want.”
The drug test wasn’t Chavez Jr.’s first act of immaturity. Last January, the 26-year-old was arrested for suspicion of DUI. He pleaded no contest and was sentenced to probation.
Chavez Jr. had previously been suspended after testing positive for a diuretic in his November 2009 win over Troy Rowland. The official result was changed to a no-contest.
– SI.com staff